It is the holiday season and time for the classics. The rum cake is one such recipe. This is generally found across the Caribbean islands famous for rum. I have been trying to perfect my recipe for the past few weeks and end up making it three times. This time, it turned out very good. Last week I made this recipe to test out the ingredients. There was more than enough cake left over and so I packed a box full of cake for the husband to take to his office. He was always telling me about donuts and birthday cakes that people bring and leave at the coffee machine for everyone to try. I was delighted when he called me to tell how his colleagues were complimenting the cake. It made my day 🙂
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- ¾ cups Cane sugar
- 1 Stick Butter (Unsalted)
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 Eggs (Large)
- ½ cup Dark rum
- ½ cup Cranberries (Dried)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ Stick Butter (Unsalted)
- ½ cup Cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Dark rum
For those of you who follow me on Instagram know me posting about a kitty cat. Last week I took an opportunity to capture this fuzz ball in a photo. Everyday he waits for us come on to the porch and meows 🙂 Such a friendly cat, I wish he had his name tag. I don’t know what his name is 🙂
You may also like
Serving size 5-6
Cook time 60-65 min
Prep time 20-25 min
Passive time 60-70 min
Recipe level Intermediate
Spice level 0 (On a scale of 1 to 6)
Shelf life 2 – 5 days in refrigerator using an airtight container
Serving suggestion Warm
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (162 Celsius)
- Add 2 egg yolks, 1 egg white and other wet ingredients.
- Add cranberries and make a batter.
- Grease the mold thoroughly with butter. I used a 6 inch cake mold for this recipe.
- Add the batter to the mold.
- Tap it on the counter to flatten the batter.
- Bake for 325 F (162 Celsius) for 60-65 min.
- Check whether the cake is cooked through my poking a fork in the middle and it should come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the mold carefully.
- Let it cool down on a a rack.
- For the rum syrup , add butter to a pan. Once it melts add sugar.
- After 2 min add the rum. Bring it to a boil and set aside to cool.
- Let the rum syrup cool for 10 min.
- Poke holes on the cake and gently pour the rum topping.
- Set aside for 5-10 min.
- Garnish with rum soaked cranberries.
Serve it warm !
- Do not pour the syrup directly into the cake mold. It makes the edges of the cake stick to the walls and it becomes difficult to get the shape exactly.
- Make sure you use a parchment paper and grease the mold well before pouring the batter.
Happy Holidays everyone 🙂 !!..