Today is the Spring equinox. The first day of the year, when the day equals night. It marks the beginning of longer days and new beginnings.
I love breakfast. Not just because it is the first meal of the day, but also the most important meal of the day. I have been looking into healthy breakfast alternatives to the cereal that the husband has at least 4 days a week. He loves his bowl of granola with almond milk for breakfast. It was during my weekly visit to the farmer’s market, I found some fresh carrots. I have been thinking about trying out this recipe with carrots as a sugar base for a savory and healthy version of granola. That is when I decided to make carrot granola and the result is this blog post 🙂
- 1 Carrot (large)
- 2 cups Rolled oats
- ½ cup Hemp seeds
- ½ cup Sunflower seeds
- ½ cup Pistachios
- ½ cup Almonds (with skin)
- ½ cup Coconut chips
- ¼ cup Flax seeds
- ¼ cup Dates (pitted)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 Apple (medium)
- 6-8 Cardamom
Cook time 35-40 min
Prep time 20 min
Passive time 5 min
Recipe level Intermediate
Spice level 0 (On a scale of 0 to 6)
Shelf life 3-4 weeks in an air tight jar.
Serving suggestion With warm or cold milk
You may also like
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Peel the carrot and wrap it with tin foil and place it in the oven for 60 min.
- Boil a cup of water in a deep pot and add one diced apple, cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In the meantime, put the almonds into a food processor and crush for 2-3 pulses until they are broken into pieces.
- Add oats, hemp seeds, almonds and sunflower seeds to a large bowl.
- Add the fresh pitted dates, diced into small pieces to the bowl. Mix well.
- Grind the flax seeds to a fine powder and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add half of the pistachios to the bowl.
- Take the carrot out of the oven and puree to a smooth texture. Add some water if needed.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil. Add the carrot puree and cook for 2-3 min on low heat.
- Pour the carrot mix over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and grind them to a coarse powder and add to the mixing bowl.
- The apples boiling in the pot would become translucent.
- Mash well to make apple sauce. Add half of the sauce to the bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (175 C) . Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Pour the granola mix onto the baking tray and bake for about 25-30 min. Mix well every 10 minutes, so the outer edges of the granola do not get burnt.
- Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool for about 10-15 min.
- Toast the coconut flakes for 1-2 min in a sauce pan on medium to low heat.
- Add the coconut flakes and rest of the pistachios to the granola mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to air tight containers or mason jars.
- Check the granola every 10 min so they don’t get burnt. Baking time differs based on the type of oven used.
- You can use beets instead of carrots for a different flavor.
- Store rest of the apple sauce in an air tight jar for future use.
Hope you enjoy making this healthy granola !
Much love 🙂