I have been reading about sustainable lifestyle and a zero waste home for the past few weeks. The amount of information available online is amazing. I am not sure if I can ever get to the point of zero waste especially having a food blog 🙂 but I am making few changes around the house and to our lifestyle in general to do my part. Learning that approximately 220 million tons of waste is generated each year in the United States alone and to discover the impact of ocean trash on marine life and the ecosystem was horrifying.
I started with trying to identify all the sources of non biodegradable plastics and made a list of things that I can replace with better alternatives. An example was the Philips sonicare brush with replaceable heads. I bought a compostable bamboo tooth brush. I have started taking my own canvas tote bags to the grocery stores to avoid using the plastic bags and other packaged vegetables. I’m slowly trying to understand how to lead a sustainable life and generate less trash every day. I am surprised to see that one small conscious decision can bring about such a positive change in our home. It is a long way ahead but as the great philosopher Lao Tzu has said – “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
As a part of our lifestyle improvements, I have been to the farmer’s market near our home 🙂 One of the best ways to lead an eco friendly responsible and sustainable life is to consume seasonal vegetables and fruits. I have never tried using a lot of locally grown vegetables, but now I have a chance to do exactly that and incorporate my own style to make a new recipe. One such ingredient is collard greens that I picked up a few days ago. First I thought of making a salad but then decided to make a stew with lentils and sweet potatoes as the main ingredients. It is a hearty and healthy one pot dish that is perfect for weekday dinners or a lazy weekend lunch.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup Red onion, diced
- 1 Carrot (Medium) diced
- 1 Tomato
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Red lentils
- 2 Sweet potatoes (Medium, peeled and cubed)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 bunch collard greens (stems removed and cut into ribbons)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Lime
- Chili flakes and pepper as needed
- Sea salt to taste
You may also like
Prep time 10 min
Cook time 40 min
Passive time 20-30 min
Recipe level Intermediate
Spice level 3 (On a scale of 1 to 6)
Shelf life 1 – 2 days in refrigerator using an airtight container
Serving suggestion Warm
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a deep soup pot.
- Add garlic and cumin seeds.
- After 2 minutes add diced onion, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook until softened for 5-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add diced tomatoes, a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Add turmeric powder, oregano, chili flakes and stir.
- Add broth and water, cook for 3-5min. Bring it to a boil.
- Add rinsed lentils. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and curry powder.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until lentils and potatoes become tender.
- Add the collard greens and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Taste and adjust your seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the stew to serving bowls.
- Top with sliced avocado, freshly squeezed lime juice, chili flakes and drizzle olive oil.
Hope you enjoy making it ?
Serve warm !
- De stem the collard greens before using them in the stew.
- You can use any kind of lentils you prefer.
- You can replace the vegetable broth with chicken stock or bone broth if you prefer.