It’s still a little cold but spring is just around the corner. Last summer, we planted a vegetable garden and grew peppers, basil, oregano and tomatoes. We couldn’t save our lawn last year but we will try to fix it this year. We have a lot of garlic chives growing in our backyard. I guess they’re just wild and grow everywhere. The husband and me were trying to identify all the weeds in our yard and discovered the chives. They smelled so fragrant and it was cool because we had recently watched a show about René Redzepi, the head chef of Noma and an avid forager. I wanted to use the chives in a recipe and decided to make this simple yogurt based sauce with chives and other ingredients.
- 3 Golden potatoes (medium size)
- 1 Sweet Potato (large size)
- 1 cup Green peas
- 1 cup Red onions (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Chickpea flour (Besan)
- 2 Green Chili (Hot Thai chili) (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger powder or freshly minced.
- Salt for taste.
Yogurt dipping sauce
- 1 1/2 cup Full fat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry dill
- ¼ tsp Black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chives (freshly chopped)
You may also like
Makes 20-23 Tikkis
Prep time 15 min
Cook time 25-35 min
Passive time 10 min
Recipe level Intermediate
Spice level 3 (On a scale of 1 to 6)
Shelf life Serve fresh
Serving suggestion Warm
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes and steam for 10-15 min.
- To a skillet add oil and diced red onions. Saute until they turn slightly translucent.
- Add the green peas and cook for 2-3 min on medium heat. Set it aside.
- To a food processor add the steamed potatoes, green peas and onion.
- Add salt and green chili. Blend everything together.
- Add chickpea flour, it helps in binding the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (~200 Celsius)
- Line a baking rack with parchment paper. Add 1-2 tablespoon of batter in circles, leaving 2-3 cm of space between each other.
- Sprinkle ginger powder on the top.
- Also spray oil for the extra crispiness.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 10 min until they turn slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and with the help of a cloth or a paper towel press down the patties.
- Flip them to other side and bake for 5 min.
- For the yogurt sauce, in a mixing bowl add yogurt, garlic powder, black pepper, dill and salt.
- Add the chopped chives and olive oil on the top. Mix before serving.
Transfer the aloo tikkis to a serving plate.
Serve the aloo tikkis with the yogurt sauce or sweet and spicy chutney with a side of masala chai or lassi.
- Do not add more chickpea flour than suggested.
- Baking time depends on the type of oven used. Bake until both the side are light brown and crispy.
- Use full fat yogurt. I used seven stars farm organic plain yogurt.
Thank you 🙂
Hope you all have an amazing day !