Breakfast cereal is one of those things that the husband cannot have enough of. Whenever we go grocery shopping, he’s going through the cereal aisle trying to decide on a new cereal. A few weeks ago, there was a sale and he bought like 5 boxes. He did not like 3 out of the 5 and they have been sitting in the pantry. He comes up with really creative excuses for not eating the ones he bought 🙂
I decided to use them in a recipe as they are really good full of whole grains and healthy fiber. I made some cookies using the cereal and I really liked how they turned out. I can now have a great snack that is tasty and I get some good nutrients at the same time.
These cookies can be a great snack to leave for Santa on Christmas Eve 🙂
- 1 cup Cereal
- 1 ½ cup Oats flour
- ¾ cup Cranberries (dried)
- 8 tablespoon Butter, unsalted (room temperature)
- 8 tablespoon Coconut sugar / Regular sugar
- 1 Egg, large (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Baking soda
Serves 8-10 cookies
Prep time 10 min
Cook time 10-12 min
Passive time 10-12 min
Recipe level Beginner
Spice level 0 (On a scale of 1 to 6)
Shelf life 2 – 5 days in refrigerator using an airtight container
Serving suggestion Room temperature
You may also like
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 175 C.
- Grind the cereal to a powder in a food processor.
- In a mixing bowl add melted butter and sugar. Blend them well.
- In a separate bowl, add the oats flour to the powdered cereal and mix well until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg to the butter sugar mixture.
- Add the dry and wet ingredients.
- Mix well and make a dough.
- Add half of the dried cranberries to the dough and knead it.
- Line a the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Make 1 – 1 1/2 inch balls with the dough and place them on the tray. Making sure there is at least 2 inches of gap between them.
- Gently flatten the balls and add the remaining cranberries on the top of each ball. (The cereal that I used had sunflower seeds in them so I added those too, this step is optional)
- Bake for 11-15 min or until they are slightly golden brown. (Baking time depends on the type of oven used)
- Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them onto a cooling rack.
Serve with some warm / cold milk.
- I used kashi plant protein cereal for this recipe.
- If you prefer your cookies to be chewy, do not grind the cereal.
Happy Holidays everyone 🙂 !!..