Fall reminds us how beautiful it is, to let things go. This time of the year is full of happiness and cheer and everyone is looking forward to the christmas holidays and a brand new year. A fresh start with hopes and dreams, resolutions and promises to make the next year a much better one. We got some really pretty string lights during the thanksgiving sale. The best part is that they are solar lights. That means no long wires to the sockets and no use of electricity. We catch the sun in the day and make it twinkle at night in our front yard 🙂
It was around this time last year we were busy packing stuff into boxes as we were planning to move into our new house in January. I cannot belive that it is almost one year already. Me and the husband were remembering the mad rush of events last year and the crazy DIY we did for our home. It was so much fun inspite of the stress and the back breaking labor. But hey ! we have so many memories now – that we will cherish for years to come.
Tarts are the perfect choice for those who want to cut back on calories and still enjoy a bite sized dessert. Today’s recipe is Pumpkin tarts made with whole wheat flour shells, pumpkin maple syrup filling and topped with caramelized pecans.
Whole wheat shells
- ½ cup Whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon Coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp Almond extract
- ½ cup Pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ginger powder
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pecans (chopped)
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter
You may also like
Makes 6-8 tarts
Prep time 30 min
Cook time 20 – 22 min
Passive time 5 min
Recipe level Intermediate
Spice level 0 (On a scale of 1 to 6)
Shelf life 1-2 days in refrigerator using an air tight container or More than a month in the freezer
Serving suggestion Warm or room temeprature
- In a mixing bowl add coconut oil, butter,sugar, egg yolks and almond extract. Mix well.
- In another bowl mix the whole wheat flour and almond flour.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients.
- Make a dough. Cover it with saran wrap and set aside.
- For the filling, mix the pumpkin puree and maple syrup in a bowl.
- Add cinnamon powder, nutmeg, ginger powder, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 175 C.
- Make less than a quarter inch of flat circles with the dough.
- Place it on a tart mold greased with butter. Cover it with saran wrap and with the help of same size tart mold press it into the mold on the bottom.
- Remove the excess dough on the side of the mold.
- Fill 3/4 th of tart shells with the pumpkin filling.
- Place all the shells on a baking tray and bake for 350 F / 175 C for 15-20 min.
- Until the pumpkin flling jiggles when the tray is shaken.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add the chopped pecans.
- Add the brown sugar and saute for 2-3 min on medium heat.
- Take the pumpkin tarts from the oven (Baking time depends on the type of oven used)
- Place them on a cooling rack for 10-15 min.
- Remove the tarts from the molds. Add the caramelized pecans on the top.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can add a dollop of whipped cream on the top for extra flavor.
- Let the pumpkin tarts cool down completely as the shells would be very soft and can fall apart.
Happy Holidays everyone 🙂 !!