Quinoa was first domesticated by Andean people around 3,000 to 4,000 years ago. It is often called the super grain because it contains more protein than any other grain. Analysis shows that it is relatively high in all the 8 essential amino acids. Quinoa is also high on saturated fats and low on carbohydrates. There are mainly four varieties of quinoa i.e., white, red, black and a mix of all the three . It is considered a super food. At home, sometimes instead of oats I make quinoa, add some almond milk, brown sugar and cinnamon and have it for breakfast. Today we are making southwest quinoa salad which was inspired from a family outing to a cafe in South Carolina. I did not use boiled beans in this recipe. You can add the over night soaked and boiled beans to the salad, if you prefer.
- 1 cup White quinoa
- 2 cup Water
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup Green beans
- ¼ cup Carrot (sliced)
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 Avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of chopped Coriander leaves.
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp Salt
Serving size 3
Cook time 15 min
Passive time 0 min
Total time 20 min
Allergen information :
Dairy free, Nut free, Egg free, Non vegetarian
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water to remove the coating, which contains a bitter substance called saponins.
- Drain it with the help of a sieve.
- Toast the quinoa in a dry sauce pan until the water evaporates.
- Once it starts to pop and smell nutty, that is when you know that it is wonderfully toasted.
- Add 1 cup of water , ¼ tbsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and bring it to a boil.
- On a low heat setting, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 min and then add the chicken stock.
- Cook for 10 min until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is nice and fluffy.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan add oil and saute the corn, green beans, carrots for 2-5 min and add the rest of salt and pepper to it.
- Cut up an avocado, dice it and add to bowl. Add the lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
Enjoy this southwest quinoa salad for any meal of the day !!
You can receive the latest updates about the blog and my newest recipes by subscribing to the newsletter.
Have a wonderful day…!