Chicken dishes are one of my comfort foods 🙂 . Mom used to make chicken curry for every Sunday afternoon and my elder sister , me and my little brother always used to love it. Mom uses tomatoes and onions as fillers in her recipes, I tried to use just the onions for this one. Uday (my husband) loves it when I cook chicken at home , today as soon as he came home from office , I found him smiling at me at the front door as he saw me clicking pictures for a chicken dish and it made my day 🙂
I hope you enjoy making this dish as much as I did, here is the recipe in detail.
- 500 gm / 1 lb Chicken
- 1 cup Red onions (2 Medium size onions)
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice / Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves (Chopped)
- Salt to taste
Prep time 15 min
Cook time 20 – 25 min
Wait time 20 min
- I used a pressure cooker for this recipe, a pan / kadai works the same.
- Heat the oil in the kadai, add onions, slit green chilies, ginger garlic paste , turmeric and saute until the onions are translucent and the strong smell of ginger garlic paste vanishes.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly under running water and add to the onion mixture.
- Mix well and add little bit of water.
- Close the lid and cook under low to medium heat for 15-20 min.
- Once the oil floats to the top , remove the lid ,under medium to high heat cook until most of the water is evaporated.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Just before taking the chicken curry off the flame , add the coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve it hot with rice or naan or roti.
Do let me know if you give this recipe a try 🙂 It ill make my day to hear from you.
Do subscribe to the newsletter , if you don’t wish to miss any of the recipes .
Have an amazing day everyone 🙂
You can receive the latest updates about the blog and my newest recipes by subscribing to the newsletter.